Monday, October 24, 2011

It's Just a Token Name...or Is It?

I was that kid who was lucky enough to have such great friends growing up, I called their parent's "mom" and "dad".  I thought of it as a title of endearment, and I threw it around sort of casually.  It felt a little less uppity than referring to my friends' parents as "Mr." or "Mrs."  But should the titles "mother" or "father" be used so casually?

After losing my dad back in 2009, my whole world turned upside down.  How could I ever call another person "dad" when they would all pale in comparison to the man who was my life-long hero?  No matter how old I got, I was his "little princess".  I was "mijita linda".  He was my daddy...  and I only had ONE daddy.

So now that I've experienced this great loss, I've come to realize that I can't ever again call another man, "dad".  I can never again call another woman, "mom".  I have been blessed with two fabulous parents, who have loved me unconditionally.  No one else who would be given token titles of "mom" or "dad" could ever fill their shoes...ever.

This is just my personal realization, and I by no means think everyone else should follow what I've chosen to do.  But for me, I choose to only refer to "mom" and "dad" when speaking about the two people who God chose to be my parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment