Friday, September 16, 2011

Why Are We Christians So Pre-Occupied with Sex?

Boycotts.  The very word sends chills down my spine.  Not the action itself, because I'm all about standing behind social justice issues.  But when there's a boycott wildfire spoken about these days, nine times out of ten it's organized by a Christian organization regarding something to do with sex or a deviant there of.

The newest boycott that is hitting the social media circles is that of Dancing with the Stars, which premiers this coming Monday.  The issue at hand is the transgender son of super-star Cher, Chaz Bono.  Chaz, who was born a girl and named Chastity, always felt as though she was a man trapped inside the body of a woman.  I'm not going to get into biology, because the transgender issue has been made into something that revolves around perversion by those who are calling for this boycott.  Evidently seeing this man dance on stage will glorify a sexual deviant, and therefore add to the demise of the fabric of our society.  I get it. Sort of.  The thing is, according to the Bible--and all of us who claim to live under the NEW LAW, isn't hate and gossip as sinful as any sexual sin?  There are no longer levels of sin.  Jesus died for all of us, remember?  I would assume more people are deeply hurt and therefore turned off of of anything to do with Jesus because of our sin of hate, compounded by simple fear and misunderstanding.

Having a Biblical worldview, I think of sex as a gift that I save and share with only my husband.  But I don't usually spend much time talking to the world or even close friends about my sex life.  And I appreciate those with the same sense of propriety.  On the other hand, the subject of sex is something that doesn't freak me out.  I am not pre-occupied with it.

As the mother of a special needs child, I can assure you that we parents with children who are not part of the norm in society, don't rub our hands together and rejoice.  It's a tough road for all involved.  We have to make sure our kids know they are loved and valued, no matter what the world says to them.  I can only imagine the pain that some parents must be going through, knowing that their children are literally hated because of their sexual orientation.  Hated by people who have quite possibly lied, cheated, killed (through abortion), committed adultery (in action or thought), gossiped, or stolen at some point in their life.  But, you say, these people have repented! Yes, until the next time they are hell bent in causing pain to another person who they fear.  Until they take action that blatantly says, "I hate you AND your sin...because the Bible tells me so!"

That, my friends, is sin.  Driving anyone away from the saving grace of Jesus through our actions is sin.  We are not called to be judges in this way.  We are called to have discernment in action and thought.  We are called to LOVE one another, as Christ loves us.  We do not bring salvation to anyone through hate.  Just the opposite!  My prayer is that we, as Christ followers, be mindful in all of our actions.  If we make one person slip due to our words, that sin is on us.

I know there are going to be a lot of people in my own subclture who are going to be angry at this blog post.  But the hate that we Christians sometimes exude, is so upsetting to my very spirit.  Love like Jesus, and let Him be known to all around you, no matter what size stick they may have in their eye.

1 comment:

  1. I am not boycotting DWTS, however, my younger children will not be watching. First of all, they don't know who any of the "stars" are this time around. Second of all, I don't think that they are at a place where I want to discuss the subject of sex change with them. It isn't that I wouldn't, I just don't think that the ages that they are at now are the appropriate ages to be doing it at. I don't know if the subject will come up. I just don't want the Littles watching and it come up and then we have to have a discussion about it before I think they are ready to have it.

    I will be watching with one of my older daughters. We have discussed why the Littles won't be watching with us.

    ReplyDelete