Monday, September 13, 2010

Marriage is What Brings Us Together...Today!

Unconditional love is, by definition,  to love someone regardless of the loved one's qualities or actions.


As parents we can all probably relate to this type of love. When the doctor places that newborn baby in your arms, the feeling of unconditional love envelopes each of us.  Thankfully, because that same creature who we love so very much will in fact challenge that love many times over the course of a lifetime.  But, yes...it's there. That love that says, "I will love you completely-- no matter what."


My challenge is to apply that same idea of love to my marriage.  Do I love my husband unconditionally?  Is this what God asks of us?  --Because guarding my heart is pretty important-- and what if I get hurt? And sometimes he really bugs me! Realizing I, too, can be a little difficult... I bet he has just as much trouble loving me, unconditionally. Probably.  Ha!  Likely!


First we have to look at how God created marriage. Was it to create children, enhance society or was there something deeper in His plan?  The example given to us in Ephesians 5, is very much in sync with that of the Trinity.  "For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church." (Ephesians 5:31, 32)


Jesus leaves the Father-- Secures His Bride through his sacrifice-- The church (Bride) now belongs to Him.  


Marriage could then be called the "earthly" relationship which allows us to better understand the mysteries and truths of God's unconditional love towards us. Perhaps a revelation of His love (agape) but in a way, which we can hopefully understand a little better.  If we are saved by grace, I would assume that God's grace and His unconditional love sort of dovetail into each other.  


That's huge.  


"I love you--no matter what." Realizing it would have been a lot easier if parental love rather than marriage would have been the example. I've heard it said that God, while in love with us, isn't AS interested in our comfort, as He is our character.  So, easy or not, that is the walk He has asked us to make, together in marriage, with Him as our example.


My focus is to devote myself to my marriage; to my husband.  Maybe in a way which I haven't thought about since the kids came along.  I need to prayerfully look at my actions, words and thoughts towards him as truly love giving, rather than focusing on what he's doing, or not doing FOR me.  


I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to dwell on his faults as a basis for me to withhold my love, shelter my heart from possible hurt, or love him conditionally based on the past hurts or failures.  In return, I can hope that he will also love me, unconditionally, in spite of my many faults and failures.  


Realizing that God's plan is so diametrically opposite to the philosophies taught by the New Age worldview, I must gird myself in His truth and example, and once again come to the place where His Word resides in my heart.  “We love, because He first loved us” (1 John 4:19).




Here is a passage that was read at our wedding, and probably yours, too. Today I am reading these words with a new perspective:


Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous;
love does not brag and is not arrogant,does not act unbecomingly;
it does not seek its own,is not provoked,
does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness,
but rejoices with the truth;
bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails. 1Cor. 13: 4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment